Good morning! My name is Naomi and I’m thrilled to be guest posting on Palmettos and Pigtails today. I’ve been a stay-at-home mother for several years, and in my free time, I do a bit of blogging on the side. I enjoy creating DIY and crafts for home, but I also love writing about the realm of business, more specifically retail design.
DIY Crafts That Brighten the Room
Are you moving into a drab dorm room? Is your office feeling a little dreary? Whether your home, bathroom, bedroom, or dorm need some sprucing up, these crafts will get you on the colorful path to brighter days.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com
Instagram Photo Collage
Do you have a drab wall that needs decorating? Create a colorful masterpiece using your photos from Instagram.
- Print out your instas from a computer at instagram.com or simply use polaroids or any other type of square photograph.
- Use painters tape to mark a level base for your wall collage. Measure from the floor on each end to guarantee its level.
- Cut out your square pieces and tape them to the wall in a grid pattern. Before you know your wall will be a colorful masterpiece of … lattes?
Washi tape originates from Japan and comes in tons of different colors and patterns that can make any dull design pop. Craft a few small frames to make any picture on your wall seem perfectly placed.
- Hang a few different sized photographs on the wall using four small pieces of tape (painters tape or masking tape).
- Cut different sizes of Washi tape for different sized frames. Think square, rectangular, octagonal, and so on.
- Check out this detailed blog post from Design Sponge on how to make your frames truly unique.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com
Layering different colored doilies together can give a dorm room wall a personalized feminine touch.
- Starting from the bottom, use about two pieces of tape per doily and start creating rows.
- You can use the painters tape level method (mentioned above) to make sure your doilies are lined up.
- Make sure each doily overlaps so that you can’t see the wall behind them.
Perfect for hanging kitchen supplies, office supplies, or anything else needing a place to go, an old shutter can hold just about anything.
- Find an old shutter and paint the top half yellow for a bold color block. Check out this great example from C.R.A.F.T., a blog dedicated to “creating really awesome free things.”
- Over the door hooks, a magnetic knife strip, clear caddies, or even a bike basket are all storage tools you can hang on the shutter.
- Lean the shutter against the wall close to your bedroom door or anywhere convenient in a small kitchen and whalah, DIY decoration and organization at its finest!
Paint Swatch Scallops
Paint swatches are free and can be used to brighten up any small corner, large wall, or dull space in need of excitement.
- Use a die-cutting tool and cut as many circles as you need from your paint swatches.
- Using the protective cardboard found in a frame or simply the back of the frame, tape or glue the circles in rows (like the doilies) so they layer each other in a neat pattern.
- Secure inside your frame, then hang this quick piece of art on any wall or lean it on any desk for a bright pop of color.
- Here are several great examples of paint chip art from event planning blog, Social Graces.
Image courtesy of Social Graces
Get creative spicing up any space with these DIY crafts. Add furniture and other displays and whalah! Maybe these ideas will inspire you to come up with some of your own!
Naomi Shaw is a stay-at-home mom in Southern California. After being a stay-at-home mom for seven years she now works full-time as a freelance writer. She enjoys blogging about mommy tips and DIY crafts providing insight, advice and more.