Happy Thanksgiving! I’m taking the week off to celebrate Lincoln’s Baptism and spend time with our family in town!
My Thanksgiving menu doesn’t change much from year to year. I grew up with baked turkey, moved South and got introduced to fried turkey, and for the first time last year, tried smoked turkey. By far my favorite! As for side dishes and dessert…I usually make sweet potato casserole, biscuits, salad, pecan pie and green bean casserole. You know, the Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom version. But this year, I’m trying something a little different. I found this recipe on the eMeals site, and thought it might be fun to try this year.
Green Bean Casserole with Bacon
- 2 (12-oz) packages steam-in-bag green beans
- 1 (8-oz) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-oz) jar Alfredo sauce
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 (2.8-oz) container French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook beans in microwave as directed. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Sauté mushrooms in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10 to 12 minutes, stirring once after 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add to beans in bowl.
- Cook bacon in skillet until crisp. Crumble bacon, and add to beans. Reserve 1 Tbsp drippings in skillet. Cook onion and garlic in drippings until tender. Add to beans. Stir in Alfredo sauce and cheese.
- Spoon into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with French fried onions. Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly.